These delicious muffins were our breakfast choice for this week! I’ve always enjoyed the cranberry orange muffins from Starbucks, so this recipe was one I definitely had to try. They are deliciously flavorful! Only con: They are heavier than the muffins I’ve made in the past, but they were still good. I’m going to try to figure out a way to make them lighter…any suggestions are welcome!
Cranberry Orange Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 tsp celtic sea salt
- 6 eggs, preferably pasture-raised
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- zest from half of an organic orange
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 cup frozen cranberries (don’t add extra or the muffins will be too tart) I used craisins instead of frozen cranberries.
- Melt coconut oil in a small saucepan over low heat. Turn off heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine the eggs, salt, vanilla extract, and orange extract in a large bowl. If using an immersion blender, pulse a few times to combine. Otherwise, mix to combine with a whisk or mixer.
- Add the honey to the coconut oil and stir slightly. Pour this mixture into the wet ingredients and blend well with immersion blender or mixer.
- Measure out the coconut flour. Since coconut flour clumps, it will need to be sifted if you are not using an immersion blender.
- Pour the coconut flour and orange zest into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Use an immersion blender or mixer to thoroughly combine all ingredients, making sure there are no lumps. (Since coconut flour does not contain gluten, there is no worry of over-mixing it).
- Fold in the cranberries with a spoon or spatula.
- Line a muffin tin with paper cups. Scoop the muffin batter into the paper cups. (about 3 T)
- Bake muffins in 325 degree oven for about 40-50 minutes, until muffins are set and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. If you are in a time-crunch, you could bake them at 350 degrees initially, but you’ll need to reduce the heat after a bit so they won’t burn before being set in the middle.
- Remove from oven and cool.